Your Legal Rights

Don't be a victim of wage or tax refund garnishment.

You are entitled to rehabilitation of your federal student loan before any garnishment process starts.

Loan Rehabilitation

Federal law entitles you to:

  • A "reasonable and affordable" payment over 9 months (sometimes 12 months for a certain loan type).
  • A written agreement confirming the payment terms and advising you of your rights.
  • If you don't know whether your student loan is federal or private go to this website

Notice Prior to Wage Garnishment

Federal law only permits wage garnishment to collect a defaulted student debt IF:

  • You get written mailed notice a minimum of 30 days prior to any garnishment proceedings, stating the intent to garnish, amount of the debt, percentage to be collected from wages, and your rights under the law
  • Opportunity to inspect and copy records relating to your debt
  • Opportunity to enter into a written agreement to repay your debt

Exercise your rights. We'll help you fight threats & harassments from lenders and rehabilitate or modify your unaffordable or defaulted loans.

Frequently Asked Questions

About Robert P. Cocco, P.C.

robert p. coccoI am a licensed, practicing attorney in PA, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of PA, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. I specialize in: debt collection abuse, mortgage abuse, auto fraud and identity theft credit damage. The majority of cases are handled on a contingency fee basis.

I am a current active member of the following associations:

philadelphia bar associationnational association of consumer advocates national consumer law center


Serving Philadelphia & Surrounding Area

student loan default attorney office

Law Offices of Robert P. Cocco, P.C.
1500 Walnut Street
Suite 900
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Free Case Review
Call 215-315-3333

Get FREE Case Review & Consultation

All student loan cases remain completely confidential. Fill out the form below to get started with your FREE case review & consultation.

You can also call our office at 215-315-3333.